Maple Butter Twists


When you get married you have to make sacrifices.  One of the big sacrifices I've made is giving up Christmas with my family.  It's hard for obvious reasons but the no-so-obvious reality is that Christmas brunch is my favorite meal of the year.  At our house the tradition meal was Egg Casserole, Cheese Grits, Country Ham, Fruit Salad and rolls.  I love it so so much!!

Thankfully I married into a family who loves food as much as we do.  I inherited a different but just as good breakfast tradition.  Sausage casserole and these Maple Butter Twists.  Delicious.  My Mother-in-Law has also added an Egg & Cheese Casserole for me the last few years.  That's how I REALLY knew I was in :)

Peter's family eats about 17 of these coffee cakes during Christmas week.  It's mind boggling.  I've never seen so much food disappear so quickly.  Granted there are a lot of healthy boys and girls....17 of us all under one roof when everyone stays overnight.  But still!  Coming from a small family it never ceases to amaze me.  And I'm happy to take part!

I hope you enjoy these coffee cakes as much as we do!

Maple Butter Twists

Dough
1 pkg dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup melted butter
3 T sugar
1&1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup hot milk
2 eggs
3&1/4 cups flour

Filling
1/4 cup soft butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 T flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon

To make the dough, soften your yeast in the warm water.  Combine the butter, sugar, salt and hot milk in a large bowl.  Stir in 2 unbeaten eggs and the softened yeast mixture.  Gradually add your flour to form a stiff dough.  Beat well after each addition.  When the flour is combined over with plastic wrap and let it rise.  This should take an hour to 90 minutes.

To make the filling cream the butter, brown sugar, sugar, syrup, flour and cinnamon.  

Toss the dough on a well floured surface to coat.  Divide the dough mixture in half.  Roll our one portion to a 14x8 inch rectangle and spread with half of the filling.

Roll up the dough starting with the 14 inch side.  Cut the roll in half lengthwise.  Twist strips together and cut slices in the sides.  Shape into a ring in a well greased 8 or 9 inch round pan.  Repeat with the remaining dough.

Let the ring rise for about 45 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

My Mother-in-Law tops hers with raisins and colorful maraschino cherries.  I think this would be great as an Easter brunch menu item as well.  And believe me this coffee cake tastes as good as it looks!

I hope you enjoy!

Comments

  1. Oh the things we do for love when we get married! These rolls sound great!Thanks for sharing at Show Me Your Plaid Monday's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound amazing! And they look pretty too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound so good Laura. Thanks for the recipe!
    Hugs,
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these sound so delicious! Thanks for sharing your new tradition :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, looks so yummy. i'm totally going to try this! thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of those that looks like it must be a staple in our house!! Thank you for sharing at Foodtastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious! I am writing your recipe down now so I can try this! Thanks for sharing!

    I would like to invite you to join my linky party, Thrifty Thursday!

    appleofmamaseye.blogspot.com
    Hope to see you there!

    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. What awesome Maple Butter Twists, these look delicious! Hope you have a fabulous week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts