Coconut Oatmeal Cookies


Oh man.  This is one of those "I can only make it ever so often because I can't stop eating them" kind of recipes.

I don't bake very much.  We consume enough sugar in our house without trying.  Seriously everything has sugar in it.  Olives...pickles...peanut butter...things you wouldn't think!  When I cut sugar out for my Whole30 challenge sometimes I got frustrated when I'd find sugar in something that I was positive wouldn't have it! Greek olives?  Give me a break!

Anyway....I did bake these cookies.  And they totally supported my "I really shouldn't bake" assumption because they were gone way too quickly.  Now I do have two partners in crime but still!  I can't blame them entirely.

Coconut Oatkmeal Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
11/2 cup flour
3 cups oatmeal
1 cup coconut
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda

It's always a good idea to set your butter out a little before you plan to bake.  This makes it much easier to blend.  I did NOT do that when I made these and had some slight problems in the baking stage because my butter was still too chunky.  More on that in a minute.

Blend your butter and sugar.  Mix in the rest of the ingredients and bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes.

Sounds simple enough right?  For the most part it is.  However I wasn't sure whether to make little balls or flatten the cookies. The first batch I made 1-inch balls.  Oh my word.  My cookies were as big as a plate.  They spread so far and it was WAY too much dough.  So the next round I made 1/2 inch balls and then flattened them on the cookie sheet with my palm.  This made much better cookies.  

These aren't very doughy at all.  Next time I made them I plan to only use 2 cups of oats instead of 3 to see how the consistency changes.  They taste fabulous but are very easy to over-do.  I am a professional cookie over cooker.  So of course half of mine were slightly crunchy.  But it was a good crunchy and certainly didn't stop them from disappearing as I've noted!

These are such a yummy twist on traditional oatmeal cookies!  I hope you love them as much as we do!

Comments

  1. These sound amazing! And I can not wait to make some for myself! Thanks for the amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!! I need to go get some oatmeal and coconut so I can make these :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so so good. I love oatmeal and coconut. I know these will not last long at my house. Thanks for the recipe. Visiting from Weekend Creative. Blessings! Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura so glad I found you blog on Alderberry Hill. These cookies sounded awesome. I use to be in the same boat with the "over cooked cookie". Until my sister in law bought me one of those silicon baking mats! Cant I just say... life saver! Works every time... :) Awesome blog! :)

    Krista @ joyfulhealthyeats

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sound good to me!!

    I am stopping by from Sew Can Do's link party!
    Beth @ The First Year Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look really really good! Thanks for linking up to An Oldie but a Goodie party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! I love cookies and Coconut sounds fabulous right about now! Thanks for sharing :) Krista @ http://ahandfulofeverything.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't blame you for not being able to stop yourself from eating them. They look great!

    I'd like to invite you to join my blog round up with either this post or another. This month the theme at Pantry Party is cookies! I'd love if you checked it out :) http://lawstudentscookbook.wordpress.com/2013/03/31/pantry-party-april-2013-announcement/

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound so good and so simple to make! I am really on a coconut kick lately, so I know I will be making these soon. ;)

    Thank you for sharing at Marvelous Mondays this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI there!! These sound delicious and I can't wait to make them. I'm glad I came across your blog. I was at the shabby creek cottage link party and I saw your cookies and looked at your blog. You have done a good job putting it together. I'm new to the blogging world since January. I mostly do receipes and DIY stuff. I am also a lover of Jesus, my hubby, and my little boys. You will have to check out my blog at gloriouslymade.blogspot.com.
    I subscribed to your newsletter so I look forward to seeing what else you cook up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coconut always makes great cookies even better! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the addition of the coconut in a traditional type of cookie such as oatmeal. Thanks for sharing on FFF>

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your recipe is awesome and thank you so much for sharing it at the table with Full Plate Thursday.
    Hope to see you again soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look absolutely YUM!! :) Love the coconut addition!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts