Salmon in Lemon Brodetto


Peter's parents came to visit recently and while they were here the big guys decided to go fishing.  You know the deep sea kind.  When it's in the 40s.  Sounds like the recipe for a fabulous day right?

Well apparently if you are an Euler man that is how you have fun.  And they had a great time!  They also caught three beautiful salmon leaving us with about 20 large size fillets to eat over the coming months.  Yum!!!

I immediately started looking for salmon recipes to try.  Of course I went straight to my go-to girl, Giada.  And boy did she leave us satisfied!!  This was one of the best meals I have had in a long time.  And the most fun was that Peter caught it and I cooked it!

Salmon in Lemon Brodetto with Pea Puree

Ingredients for Lemon Brodetto
2 T olive oil
1 shallot, diced
2 lemons, one zested and both juiced
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 T chopped fresh mint leaves

Ingredients for Pea Puree
2 cups frozen peas, thawed (10 oz)
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Salmon
1/2 cup olive oil
4 salmon fillets
kosher salt and black pepper

Lemon Brodetto
Warm your olive in in a saucepan while you dice your shallot.  Saute until tender.  You'll know it's done when its translucent.  Add the lemon zest and juice and the broth.  I had HUGE lemons so I only added the juice of one and I was very glad I did.  So if you have smaller lemons use both but if you have one the size of a softball just use one! Bring the broth to a simmer and cover until it's time to eat.  
Pea Puree
Combine the first 5 ingredients in your food processor.  If you don't have a mini-food processor put one on your Christmas list immediately.  They are SO helpful.  I use mine to make dressing, guacamole, banana pancakes, pesto....any number of yummy thing.  Slowly add your olive oil.  Transfer the puree to a bowl and stir in your cheese.  I made the mistake of using shredded parmesan.  I would definitely suggest the grated.  Also I would suggest warming your peas a bit before you make the puree.  Otherwise it makes it difficult to keep it warm and if they are frozen and thawed they will be pretty cold!

Salmon
Salt and pepper both sides of your salmon.  Warm the olive oil in a pan over high heat.  Sear on one side for about 4 to 5 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fillet).  You'll want a brown crust.  Flip the fish and cook until it is medium rare or however you prefer your salmon!

To assemble the dish first stir the chopped mint leaves into the broth and then divide it into four bowls.  Add your pea puree and then place the salmon on top of each serving of pea puree.

This is a gorgeous dish.  The peas are so bright and cheery and the taste.  Oh my word.  It tastes hearty and fresh and comforting all in the same bite.  The lemon brodetto pulls it all together and just gives it a little citrus kick.  I would eat this everyday.  My only complaint it that my dishes are super deep so it wasn't as pretty as it would have been if the broth could have spread out more.  But it certainly didn't change the taste!

I'll be sharing additional salmon recipes as we use our remaining fish.  If you have some favorites I would love to try them!!  Just leave me a link or email me the recipe!!

Comments

  1. Hi Laura,
    Good to see you back. That's amazing that you will have salmon for a while. I look forward to the future posts of recipes. This recipe look divine. I like salmon and always appreciate a new way to make it. Can you taste the mint in the pea puree or does it add to the flavor? I'm not a mint person, but can deal with it if it enhances, not takes over the flavor. Just curious.
    Thank you for sharing it on the Thumping Thursdays Blog Hop.

    Sincerely,
    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a sucker for salmon and this dish looks truly divine!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having grown up in the Pacific Northwest, but living in Las Vegas now…..yeah, quite a story….anyway, I LOVE salmon! This sounds like a fabulous way to prepare it. Glad you posted at the Miz Helen’s Full Plate Thursday link party. I’ve pinned, liked, twittered and G+-ed your post. I’d love it if you dropped by for a visit at http://www.kneadedcreations.com . I look forward to seeing you over there! Deb @ Kneaded Creations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura,
    Your Salmon looks fabulous we would just love it! Thank you so much for taking the time during this busy season to share your wonderful post with Full Plate Thursday. Have a wonderful weekend and hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts