Day 4-31 Days of Being New--Thoughts on Dirt





The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned. (Isaiah 9:2 NIV)

Washington is a magical mix of mild weather. Temperate summer days. No humidity. Misty winter mornings..afternoons..nights. Way less rain that people think. Pretty close to perfect. 

The bad part?

It's dark and often overcast. It's a different sort of dark than other places I've lived. Not an oppressive makes you want to curl up with a blanket & book dark, just a "not as light as it could be" dark. And slowly over the last few years what light is has taken on a whole new meaning. 

I struggled a bit with the winter dark after having Reed. Because Tacoma is so far north the sun goes down super early. By 4:45 it's totally dark in the winter. It makes for short days and long nights. 

Last Fall my sweet father-in-law installed a new light in my dining area. It was incredible the difference it made. I could turn that light on and just pretend it was day outside!

Fast forward to moving day this year. It's so fun to start getting your boxes and arranging your furniture. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this but when our stuffed furniture arrived it was gross. I mean so gross. Our new house is full of natural night. And it exposed all the dirt and grime and stains that honestly I couldn't see at our old house. Even my new light that seemed so great didn't give me the whole picture. 

Isn't life like that? We don't realize that we are trapped in darkness because it just becomes our new normal. Sure we aren't living in filth but stuff isn't clean. Washed. Purified. Redeemed. 

I failed at getting up yesterday but when I did read my Bible this is the verse that stuck out. I has been mulling on light all day long. He knew. 

I've got to stop settling for second best and step into the light!! Jesus didn't come for me to love in darkness. Or to try lots of quick fixes to my problems. He came to bring me into the light. To forgive me of my sins. To save me. To make me new. 

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned.

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:2, 6 NIV)

Comments

  1. beautiful post! reminds me of "once you were darkness, now you are born in the light, live as children of light" -- i think that is from one of the songs of the early church? I'll need to look up that reference now. glad i found your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts